Honors & Awards
The following individuals were recognized on Oct. 27, 2012, for their service to ASBP and dedication to furthering obesity medicine. The awards luncheon was in Orlando in conjunction with the 62nd Annual Obesity & Associated Conditions Symposium.
- ASBP Fellow: Deborah Bade Horn, D.O., M.P.H., F.A.S.B.P.
- Bariatrician of the Year: Wendy Scinta, M.D., M.S.
- Dr. Vernon B. Astler Award: Craig Primack, M.D., F.A.A.P.
- Raymond E. Dietz Award: Harold Seim, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.S.B.P.
- Steelman-Seim Educator Award: William McCarthy, M.D.
- Task Force Award: Stephen Sudderth, M.D., & Lisa Sudderth
About the Awards and Honors
- Designation as an ASBP Fellow: Recognizes a physician member for excellence in obesity medicine and service to the Society.
- Bariatrician of the Year: Recognizes a physician who has done the most to advance the field of bariatric medicine and the Society.
- Dr. Vernon B. Astler Award: Recognizes efforts of an ASBP member to advance the Society’s place and purpose to the media, government and medical community, as Dr. Astler did in helping guide the society to secure a seat in the American Medical Association House of Delegates.
- Raymond E. Dietz Award: Recognizes an individual who has made continuing contributions to the Society as did the award’s namesake who was one of the pioneers of the organization.
- Steelman-Seim Educator Award: Recognizes those who have exhibited excellence in advancing the cause of health care through education and teaching.
- Task Force Award: Recognizes exceptional accomplishments while serving on a task force working to further one or more strategic initiatives of the Society.